As we neared Hubby’s 40th birthday, I scoured through Pinterest hoping to find some inspiration for a unique birthday gift the kids could make. I found a bunch of different things but nothing “one of a kind” that could be slotted under the “I will never forget this gift ever” category.
So we decided to put together a bunch of different ideas and finally came up with the most perfect gift, for really any occasion- a milestone birthday, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Grandparent’s Day…
our very own…
The LOVE book holds all the reasons why your child loves the recipient.
Isn’t that cute?
What makes this a memorable gift is it’s 100% personalized and hand made with love by the kids.
And no it isn’t hard to make.
To make a LOVE book you need…
- Colored card stock paper (We used orange to ensure the kids’ paint art stood out)
- White paper
- Paint (We used washable finger paints as my 2 year old was involved in the project)
- Paint brushes /Tooth brushes
- 1 Key Ring (We
tookborrowed ours off an old key chain!)
- Single hole punch.
- Craft scissors (To cut the paper with pretty designs. You can use regular scissors but these are prettier.)
- Pen/Markers/Dark Colored Pencil (If your child isn’t comfortable writing with a pen/markers)
- Laminator (This is optional but highly suggested if you want your book to stay preserved. We used our Fellowes Laminator. Super easy to use!)
- A book to jot down your child’s ”love” gushes!
Making the LOVE Book…
1. Begin with painting your card stock. You can use a paintbrush to do dots, patterns or a toothbrush to spray paint designs. If your child is younger you can finger paint. (With younger kids the paint process can be spread over a few days or even weeks.)
2. While you wait for the paint to dry/ complete the background artwork , list out the “X’ number of reasons why your child loves your LOVE book recipient in a book. It’s easier having a completed list when you begin to write out on paper.
Since we were making our book for Hubs’ 40th birthday we did 40 reasons why the kids love him. My 6 year old did all the thinking barring 2 inputs for my 2 year old!
3. Once the paint on the card stock is dry, using your craft scissors, cut out equal sized squares. Cut smaller sized squares using the white paper so that the paint art peeps through the sides. (Card stock dimensions we used: 4″ x 4″ , white paper dimensions: 3″ x 3″)
4. Have your child write out one “love reason” per white paper square. Or if your child is too young to write, here’s where you begin writing!
5. Stick each white square on a painted art card stock square.
6. Once done. Arrange the possible number of “LOVE” squares in a laminated sleeve and run through the Laminator. (An A4 sized sleeve should hold 4 squares)
7. Now punch a hole in the upper, left hand corner of each laminated square.
8. Slide each punched square through the key ring
And there you have it.
A gift that can never have a price tag slapped on to it…
it’s simply priceless!
The only problem is finding a gift to top this one next year!!
Create a “YesMemory” with your kids
As a YesVideo ambassador, I’m encouraging you to make an effort to create memories with your kids.
Life zooms by way too fast and before you know it your little ones won’t be little any more!
Take lots of pictures, videos and preserve those memories for a lifetime.
And don’t forget to create a YesVideo DVD to safely store this all for the years to come.
Every life is a story. Share yours.
Who do you think will have the honor of receiving your kids’ first LOVE book creation?
**EBMR Disclaimer: As a YesVideo Ambassador, though I am being compensated for my time, the heart of this post is all me!**