Last year on Valentine’s Day, I made heart shaped pancakes. While thinking of what to add to this year’s fare I knew it had to be something that the kids would love yet something this Mama would consider healthy and filling before a school day.
After some trial and error and quite a bit of recipe merging and tweaking, hot out of the oven came a yummy…
Berry Pecan bread.
A healthy, breakfast bread perfect for Valentine’s morning!
Now this isn’t a very sweet bread so to make this a little sweeter, I’d suggest using sweetened applesauce over unsweetened. (Hubs prefers his sweets toned down so I did use unsweetened applesauce in mine.)
Here’s how you can make 2 loaves…one for your family and one to give away on Valentine’s morn.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups mixed berries (I used a frozen mix of strawberries, blackberries and blueberries, that I set out to thaw before use)
- 1 1 /2 cups honey (the darker the better)
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- While the oven heats, mix the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl and set it aside.
- In your mixer (or a separate bowl), whip the eggs till well beaten.
- Add to this the applesauce, then the honey.
- Mix well.
- Add the berries and allow them to blend into the liquid mixture.
- Now add the dry mix a little add a time and mix well.
- Finally add in the pecans and mix.
- Now pour the batter into two 9 x 5″ prepared (greased with butter and lightly coated with flour)loaf pans and pop into the oven.
- In 45 minutes your loaves should be ready, Make sure you test if they’ve baked right through, with a toothpick/fork.
- Cool, slice and enjoy for breakfast or even as a snack!
And to provide you with more inspiration for the day, some of my friends have shared more Valentine’s Day treats that you can replicate in your very own kitchen.
Hop through and visit the various sites and let them know what you think of their recipes.