For a while now we’ve been holding back from buying store bought chicken nuggets. The number of ingredients on that packet that I just can’t pronounce is reason enough to agree that most often the Natural nuggets are doused with just as many preservatives as regular nuggets.
So this morning, with a pound of boneless chicken breast sitting in a bowl looking me in the eye, I decided to take the plunge and do it. I was going to make homemade chicken nuggets. Oh yes!
I have to admit this was one of the easiest and quickest, kid-approved dishes I’ve put together in a long while…
And yeah, not only are these healthy but they’re also super yummy too!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast cleaned and cubed into nugget sized pieces
- ½ cup buttermilk. (If you don’t have buttermilk. Take a tbsp of vinegar and put it into ½ a cup of milk. In 5 mins it will curdle and voila…buttermilk!)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (I used a mix of zesty and plain. You can do just plain if preferred)
- ½ – 1 tsp Morton’s Nature’s Seasonings salt-based on taste preferences (If you add the zesty breadcrumbs,make sure you cut back on the Nature’s Seasonings)
- 1 egg (whip it and set aside for the coating process)
- Soak the chicken in the buttermilk for about 10 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Place in separate bowls a) The breadcrumbs mixed with Morton’s Nature’s Seasonings b) The whipped egg c)The soaked chicken nuggets in buttermilk
- Begin the coating process, in this order: Dip the buttermilk doused chicken nugget into the egg with one hand and coat the nugget in the breadcrumb mixture with the other hand.
- Place the coated nuggets on a foil covered pan (or a greased pan)
- Pop your tray into the oven for 15-20 mins.
- Pull the tray out once you see the nuggets turning a golden brown color.