My daughter dislikes granola bars and swallows granola morsels down as if they were the yuckiest things in the whole wide world but one bite of our homemade oatmeal date bars has turned her into a believer! Oh yes!!
These are absolutely yummy, healthy and soooooo good!
I just tried this for the first time over the weekend and know that this will become a regular feature now!
- 1 cup chopped seedless dates
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ or ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cups chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates and water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the butter and egg until blended.
- Pat half of the mixture into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully spread with date mixture. Gently pat remaining oat mixture over date mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. (The longer you leave it in the crispier it gets. So choose if you prefer chewy bars or crispy ones!)
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.